Friday, August 13, 2010

Buy a truck and move two days later. The cheapest and funnest way to move.



 After an insane amount of help from Austin, Laura, Willis and Sara I was all packed up and ready to get going. So after a few hours of sleep Willis and I departed on yet again another road trip. Trucks, cigars and the open road. Doesn't get much more fun.



Road Essentials:

Of Course.



We didn't take any pictures of I-80. Been there driven that way too many times. Caught a wee bit of Idaho as the sun went down.



The sunset was bright.






Idaho was dark and formless, experienced to the sounds of The Knife and the feeling of too much sugar and caffeine. Our under filled radiator caused us some problems so we pulled off the road to sleep a little and let the engine cool. The exit we chose happened to be about 50 feet from two train tracks. Sleeping did not occur but car fixage did. About two hours later we hit the road again in the dark. Out of sheer luck the camera was pulled out and a speculative picture was taken of where we thought the welcome to Oregon sign was. We got very lucky and realized the flash on my camera ate it's Wheaties that morning. 3:00am and we're in Oregon finally.



Much of Oregon to our surprise looks like the rest of the West.






So I'm driving through a good chunk of Oregon...Willis is sleeping...I'm blasting music and drinking coffee...and out of nowhere I look back and see giant shards of glass streaming behind our truck. It seems as though the wind and rain were the proverbial straws that broke the not so proverbial side window of the truck shell a mere 250 miles from our destination. I guess a corner of a box was rattling against the glass the whole trip so our luck turned on us. I ran out in the rain and ghetto rigged a new window out of a plastic comforter bag and the plastic top to a giant Tupperware bin.





Best picture of the trip.



We scored some free sunglasses while fixing the window on the side of the road.

Well we finally made it the Columbia River Valley and it started looking more and more like the Oregon that we all think of.









The last 2 hours were so beautiful and green. We arrived in Portland at 11am PST. When we finally got into town we had driven 22 hours and over 1200 miles. As we were driving into the city I stated "this is crazy, I'm gonna be living here soon" to which Willis replied "ahhh!!! you are living here now, we have a truck full of you stuff and you are now living here." It honestly didn't sink in until Willis was gone and I was moved into my new place.Once we arrived at Kale's house the adrenaline of being here allowed me to stay awake and go show Willis around the city. I finally got to sleep around midnight after biking all over the place, kicking around a soccer ball, eating at some food carts, visiting Powell's and ending the day playing Ping Pong at a bar until late. I was here...in my  new world.

2 comments:

  1. My favorite part is the not so proverbial window part, and the ghetto rigged solution! This better not turn out like the failed coffee snob blog either. We miss the everlovin crap outta you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well I will try to keep up on it. I had no hand in the coffee snob blog other than trying to get people to check it out. I do wish it made a resurgence though. I told Willis he should start posting again with the few places we went to while he was here. Maybe he will.

    ReplyDelete